Medicinal Mushroom Risotto
This recipe is from my 5-Element Nutrition workshop on Medicinal Mushrooms. It wonderfully boosts your immune system, is anti-viral, increases circulation, and makes your Spirit happy. Enjoy!
2 Tbs Olive oil
2 Tbs Butter
1 shallot, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tbs fresh lemon zest, chopped (about ½ lemon)
8 Shiitake mushrooms, de-stemmed and chopped (ok to use fresh or re-constitute dry ones)
1 Maitake mushroom, chopped (ok to use fresh or re-constitute dry one)
4 cups Arborio rice (rinsed, uncooked)
1 cup dry white wine (optional - if you leave out increase water by 1 cup)
2 cups mushroom broth (OR chicken or vegetable)
5 cups water
dash of salt
fresh juice of ½ lemon
1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
black pepper to taste
1. Heat the olive oil and butter in a pressure cooker.
2. Sautee the shallot and garlic. When browned, add the fresh lemon zest and stir around until you smell the lemon.
3. Add all of the mushrooms and sauté until starting to brown.
4. Add rice and stir.
5. Add all of the liquids (white wine, broth, water) and stir. Add a dash of high quality sea salt and lemon juice.
6. Close the pressure cooker. When ready, pressure cook for 7 minutes. (NOTE: I really like to make risotto in a pressure cooker, but if you don’t have one it’s fine to make it in a large pot – you just have to stir about 1 cup of liquid in at a time and keep stirring for about 35-40 minutes.)
7. When done, open the pressure cooker and add the parsley and nuts.
8. Sprinkle with black pepper to taste. For an added bonus, serve with a glass of water containing 8-10 drops of Reishi (Ling Zhi) Mushroom Tincture.